Be sure to read and follow these guidelines to make the move from your rental unit carefree.
At least thirty days prior to your move out date, submit a "Notification of Intent to Vacate" at Princeton One Stop Housing (POSH) to inform the Faculty & Staff Housing Office of your plans to vacate your rental unit.
- Make plans for storage.
- Have the U.S. Postal Service forward your mail.
- Remove your name from your mailbox.
- Notify your utility companies of your move date.
- Clean the stove and on some models, under the stove top.
- Clean the oven.
- Clean the refrigerator and freezer.
- Clean the bathroom, including the tub and all tile surfaces.
- Broom clean the unit.
- Remove items from storage.
- Remove all personal belongings from your unit.
- Place discarded items in the appropriate receptacles.
- Return keys, including your mailbox key.
- Close the windows.
- Lock your unit when you leave.
First class mail
Complete a change of address form at the U.S. Postal Service website.
Magazines and newspapers
Contact the subscription department to report a change of address three weeks prior to your move. The U.S. Postal Service will not forward second class mail.
The U.S. Postal Service, FedEx, and other package carriers will not forward packages received after you have vacated your apartment.
Contact utility providers prior to your vacate date to notify them of your move and discontinue service in your name. If you fail to notify your service providers, they will continue to bill you.
Gas and electric
If you pay for gas and/or electric, contact PSE&G to notify them of your move. Do not shut off service.
If you pay for water service, contact New Jersey American Water to notify them of your move. Do not shut off service.
Contact your provider to cancel service.
Contact your provider to cancel service.
For details on discontinuing utility service, see "Utilities" under "Resident Services."
If you need a rental van, you should make a reservation at least two weeks prior to your move date. Keep in mind that rental vans are often in high demand at the end of the month. These truck rental companies provide service in the Princeton area:
Moving and storage
Many moving companies offer boxes and packing supplies for sale, but you can also buy them at Staples, the Office Depot and the UPS Store. These companies provide moving and storage services in the Princeton Area:
- Atlas Worldwide
- Bohren's Moving and Storage
- Harris Moving and Storage
- Princeton NJ Movers
- Princeton Van Service
- Whalen's Moving and Storage
Pre-vacate inspection (by request only)
Within ten days of receiving your notice to vacate, upon request, housing staff will perform a pre-vacate inspection to assess and plan for maintenance in your rental unit. You do not have to be present for this inspection. When the inspection has been completed, the inspector(s) will leave an entry notice. If you have pets or require an appointment for this inspection, please contact the Faculty & Staff Housing Office.
After vacating your apartment, housing staff will inspect your apartment for cleanliness and condition.
The general rule
Your rental should be returned to the condition in which you found it at check-in. You will not be charged for normal wear and tear, holes in the wall the circumference of a pencil or smaller and chips around holes caused from weak plaster.
To avoid a fine or charge
Read the "Before You Go" Check List to understand your responsibility for cleaning your apartment and removing your property.
Charges for cleaning and repairs
Tenants are charged if basic cleanliness and condition criteria are not met. Fees will be deducted from your security deposit. The items most commonly charged for are:
- Cleaning dirty ovens and stoves.
- Removing abandoned items, including items left in garages and storage areas.
- Repairing holes in walls, ceilings and floors.
- Reinstalling windows, removed to install air conditioners.
- Cleaning excessively dirty bathroom, floors and walls.
- Lock changes required when keys were not returned. All keys signed out during your tenancy must be returned when you vacate.
- Painting required when a wall has to be returned to the standard color.
On or before your vacate date you may return your keys to the:
- Key drop-off box in front of New South. Key envelopes are provided.
- Faculty & Staff Housing Office on the fifth floor of New South, Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
Or you may leave them on the kitchen counter of the unit you are vacating.
Failure to return keys
If you do not return all keys signed out during your tenancy, you will be charged for a lock change which will be deducted from your security deposit. Standard lock changes in University-owned rental properties are mandatory when:
- A key is lost.
- A loaner key has not been returned to the Faculty & Staff Housing Office.
- A key is not returned at check out.
- A lock is not working properly and cannot be repaired.
The fee for a lock change due to an unreturned key is based on the number of cores that the key was able to open, and could range from $75 to $150 or more. There is no fee for repairing a broken lock.
Final rent payments
Make your final rental payment by check either in person or by mail.
Rents and Mortgages Department
701 Carnegie Center, Suite 161
Princeton, NJ 08540
In person on campus:
Office of Finance and Treasury
New South building
Final rent payment questions
Please direct your questions regarding rent payments to the Office of Finance & Treasury, Rents and Mortgages Department.
Security deposit refunds
If you are owed a security deposit refund, it will be returned to you within four weeks after your official vacate date. If you received your salary by direct deposit, the Office of Finance & Treasury will attempt to direct deposit your security deposit refund. If for any reason they cannot direct deposit the funds, they will mail a check to your forwarding address.
Your forwarding address
To receive a security deposit refund by mail you must provide a forwarding address. If you do not provide a forwarding address the check will be mailed to the last known address in our files which is your rental unit address.