Grad student dorm room

Your dorm or annex room is home for the next year, and creating your own comfortable space will make life in the Graduate College more enjoyable.

Standard Furniture

Every room in the Graduate College and annexes is furnished with one adjustable height, extra-long twin bed, a dresser, a desk, a desk chair and a bedside table. A closet or wardrobe is also provided. Some rooms in the Old Graduate College have bookshelves, although they're not standard.

Rooms in the Old Graduate College and Annexes are not carpeted, but you may put down area rugs. Rooms in the New Graduate College are carpeted.

You may configure the furniture in your room any way you like, but all furniture must remain in your room for the year. The common areas in suites are not furnished.

You may hang a bicycle in your room with hooks that can be installed by University carpenters. Contact the Facilities Customer Service Center at (609) 258-8000 or complete an online service request for installation.

Facilities Customer Service Center

Add Your Style

Feel free to bring furnishings and decorations to personalize your room, with the exception of candles and incense. Small lamps and battery-operated candles are a good alternative for atmosphere or mood lighting.

You may hang pictures and posters on your wall, but be sure to use poster mounts, not nails, pins and screws. If you would like to hang a heavy item on your wall, contact a housing inspector for help.

The Princeton Student Agencies can help with your dorm or annex room needs, offering lamps, carpeting, bookcases, lofts, entertainment equipment, and micro-fridges to buy or to rent. The Princeton University Store also sells room furnishings, which you can order online in advance.

If you don’t find what you need on campus, the Princeton Shopping Center in town, Target and Wal-Mart nearby on Route 1, and IKEA in Elizabeth, NJ are great for dorm room furnishings.

Loft or bunk your bed
If you want to loft your bed, contact Princeton Student Agencies to buy or rent a loft kit, and be sure to follow the installation guidelines issued by the Graduate Student Housing Office.

If you want to bunk your beds, request a set of bunking pegs, a rail and a ladder from the Facilities Customer Service Center.

Princeton Student Agencies

University Store

Facilities Customer Service Center


Your TigerCard is your official Princeton University ID card, and you will receive it at move in. It’s also an all-in-one campus card that gives you access to your dorm or annex, library, and athletic facilities; allows you to buy food or use your meal plan; offers free admission to many athletic events; use copiers; purchase apparel and books; and more.

Through Paw Points—money added to your TigerCard—you can purchase items at the Princeton University Store, all campus dining halls and the Frist Campus Center, ticketing offices, and student agencies.

Your TigerCard is Your Key

You gain entry to your dorm or annex though a keyless lock, using your TigerCard for access. The University’s system of keyless locks for all undergraduate and graduate dormitories allows a higher level of security by requiring a dual validation for entry, meaning that a TigerCard and your four-digit PIN are required for entry into a dorm or annex room. Access My Housing for Graduates to obtain your PIN.

My Housing for Graduates

24/7 Tech Support

All dorms are wireless enabled.

You may direct questions regarding computers and networking to the Office of Information Technology (OIT) help desk, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call 609-258-HELP (4357) or send an email to

Residential Computing Consultants can also provide assistance in your dorm or annex room.

Need to Buy a Computer?

If you plan to purchase a computer, check out the Student Computer Initiative which provides Princeton students with aggressively priced, highly capable computers.

Student Computer Initiative

TV in Your Room

You can watch TV from the comfort of your dorm or annex room with TigerTV, which provides limited basic cable TV service, including some network channels. Contact the Office of Information Technology for more information.

For a subscription fee, you can watch everything from cartoons and sports to old movies and HBO specials.

Office of Information Technology Cable TV Service

Full Service

The University provides local, long distance, and Caller ID telephone service in all dorm and annex rooms, although you must bring your own touch-tone phone. You’ll also have your own voice message box and long distance personal authorization code (PAC), which allows you to place billable long distance calls from your dorm room.

Your PAC, which will remain the same throughout your time at Princeton, is retrieved from the Office of Information Technology (OIT) telephone services website. You can visit the site for information about voice mail and Enabled Voice Mail (EVM), which sends voice messages to your e-mail inbox as audio file attachments.

Office of Information Technology (OIT) Telephone Services