As we enter the Winter season, we are reminded that central New Jersey has historically experienced storm events at this time of year that can disrupt regional power service. This can affect all of the University’s rental housing for both graduate students and faculty/staff members, since all receive power from the public utility, PSE&G. Power outages occur with greater frequency at this time of year, and some in recent years have lasted several days. Therefore, we want to remind residents of the general preparedness guideline of keeping a minimum of three days’ supply of water, food, and emergency supplies on hand for all of the members of your household.
The University has compiled resources for residential emergency preparedness:
- FEMA’s Ready website: http://www.ready.gov/
- FEMA's Preparedness Checklist (PDF)
- Tips for the campus community: http://web.princeton.edu/sites/emergency/SurvivalKits.html
- American Red Cross tips: http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/get-kit
- PSE&G’s outage page: http://www.pseg.com/home/customer_service/outage_info/lose_power.jsp
Most of the resources found at the links have subsections on special preparations for caring for children, people with medical conditions, the elderly, and pets.
In the event of a power outage, work to restore service will be performed by PSE&G. It is also helpful for the University to be aware of rental housing properties without power, so please inform the Facilities Customer Service Center or the Department of Public Safety. Contact information for each of these is below:
- Report outages to PSE&G at (800) 436-PSEG (7734)
- Facilities Customer Service Center (609) 258-8000
- Department of Public Safety:
- (609) 258-1000 for non-emergencies
- 911 for emergencies from a campus phone
- (609) 258-3333 for emergencies from a cell phone
We ask that you peruse the above materials and use this time to make sure you are ready to stay safe and as comfortable as possible in your home for at least three days in the event of an extended power outage. Meanwhile, please direct any questions on emergency preparedness in University rental housing to Chris Warkala, Senior Manager of Apartments and Houses (email: email@example.com, phone: (609) 258-7638).