Policies and Regulations


Take a look at these policies and regulations to understand your rights and responsibilities while living in University housing.


Air Conditioners

Residents may not install their own air conditioners.

Residents may provide their own window air conditioners, but must have the University’s HVAC Shop install the unit (fee applies).  Contact the Facilities Customer Service Center at (609) 258-8000 or on their website to make an appointment for installation.

Apartment Transfer

Requests to move from one unit to another cannot be considered until a resident has lived in his or her unit for three years. Extenuating circumstances may allow for an exception to this policy.

Flat Screen TV Installation

Contact the Facilities Customer Service Center at (609) 258-8000 or on their website to have a wall mount installed by the University’s Carpenter Shop (fee applies). The wall mount must be provided by the resident.

Lockout and Key Replacement

If you lock yourself out or lose your key:

During business hours:
Contact the Faculty & Staff Housing Office weekdays, from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM during the academic year and from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM during the summer, to obtain a temporary or replacement key. [email protected] The office is located at 330 Alexander Street, first floor, and can be reached by phone at (609) 258-2700.

After business hours:
Contact Public Safety at 609-258-1000 after business hours. You will incur a charge when Public Safety performs a lockout service.


University apartment residents have the right to a reasonably quiet environment.

The University expects all residents to respect this right and to be aware of the impact their activities may have on neighbors. Place stereo speakers away from windows and doors and in a position that does not interfere with the activities of others.

Social gatherings are an essential part of campus life, but when you host a party be considerate of your neighbors. If the Department of Public Safety receives complaints about loud noise, prior to midnight on weeknights or 2:00 AM on weekends (Friday to Saturday and Saturday to Sunday only), they will ask the hosts to reduce the noise. After the curfew hour, Public Safety is authorized to end the activity in question.

If you are bothered by excessive noise, contact the person(s) responsible. If a satisfactory solution is not reached, call Public Safety for assistance. All noise complaints are noted by the Department of Public Safety.

Notification of Intent to Vacate

At least thirty days prior to your move out date submit a Notice of Intent to Vacate request via My Housing for Faculty & Staff. Follow the Move Out guidelines to help ensure a full refund of your security deposit.


Residents may not paint their apartments. Residents who paint their apartments will be charged for repainting at move out.

Residents may request that their apartment be repainted at no charge after three continuous years of occupancy.

Personal Property Insurance

Personal property protection

All University lease and contract holders are required to carry personal property protection (renter’s) insurance while living in University rental apartments and houses. The minimum acceptable level of coverage is $4000. 

Personal liability coverage

If you have a pet, you must also carry personal liability coverage. The minimum acceptable level of coverage is $100,000. You may keep pets only after registering them with Housing and Real Estate Services via My Housing for Faculty & Staff.

Insurance carriers

The University does not require the contract holder to buy coverage from any specific vendor.

Proof of coverage

Proof of all required insurance coverage must be provided to Housing and Real Estate Services prior to the contracted move in date and upon contract renewal or upon request.

Housing and Real Estate Services will accept a copy of your insurance policy or a copy of your payment invoice as proof. Upload proof of insurance via My Housing for Faculty & Staff. Because this is a contractual requirement, failure to provide proof of insurance will be considered a violation of the terms and conditions of occupancy.


Dogs and cats are allowed in University rental units that have direct access to the outdoors. Contract holders must register their pet with the Faculty & Staff Housing Office by updating their Personal Information and providing proof of required liability insurance coverage via My Housing for Faculty & Staff.

Dogs and cats are not permitted in housing units with a common entry.

Pet owners must comply with all local pet ordinances, rules and regulations. New Jersey law requires dog owners to license their dog with their municipality. Contact the Municipality of Princeton at (609) 924-5704 with any questions regarding local pet ordinances, rules, and regulations.


Parents are required to supervise their children and follow the guidelines posted at playgrounds.

Satellite Dishes

Residents may install satellite dishes after contacting Chris Warkala, Senior Manager for Housing Facilities, at (609) 258-7638 or by email, [email protected], to obtain and sign the Satellite Dish and Antenna Addendum. The addendum states all restrictions.


Smoking is prohibited by law and University policy in all workplaces and places of public access in University buildings and outdoor spaces including all residential buildings.  All smokers must, therefore, limit their smoking to outside areas, at least 25 feet from buildings.  All smoking materials must be disposed of in appropriate receptacles.

Sublet Guidelines

Residents may sublet their unfurnished University rental unit subject to eligibility rules and specific guidelines.

Use of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS)

Multiunit dwellings are subject to the University No Drone Zone policy.

Residents in single-family dwellings are responsible to know and follow federal, state and local regulations applicable to the use of sUAS.

For more information on drone usage at Princeton University check out Princeton's Unmanned Aircraft Systems website.