Be sure to read and follow these guidelines to make the move from your rental unit carefree.

At least thirty days prior to your move out date, submit the Notice of Intent to Vacate via My Housing for Faculty & Staff to notify the Faculty & Staff Housing Office of your plans to vacate your rental unit.  Merwick Stanworth residents should notify the American Campus Communities Leasing Office (609) 924-3000.

My Housing for Faculty & Staff

  • Make plans for storage.
  • Have the U.S. Postal Service forward your mail.
  • Remove your name from your mailbox.
  • Notify your utility companies of your move date.
  • Clean the stove and on some models, under the stove top.
  • Clean the oven.
  • Clean the refrigerator and freezer.
  • Clean the bathroom, including the tub and all tile surfaces.
  • Broom clean the unit.
  • Remove items from storage.
  • Remove all personal belongings from your unit.
  • Place discarded items in the appropriate receptacles.
  • Return keys, including your mailbox key.
  • Close the windows.
  • Lock your unit when you leave.

Review the section below "Prepare Your Rental Unit for Inspection" for specific cleaning requirements.

First class mail
Complete a change of address form at the U.S. Postal Service website.

U.S. Postal Service

Magazines and newspapers
Contact the subscription department to report a change of address three weeks prior to your move. The U.S. Postal Service will not forward second class mail.

The U.S. Postal Service, FedEx, and other package carriers will not forward packages received after you have vacated your apartment.

Contact utility providers prior to your vacate date to notify them of your move and discontinue service in your name. If you fail to notify your service providers, they will continue to bill you.

Gas and electric
If you pay for gas and/or electric, contact PSE&G to notify them of your move. Do not shut off service.

If you pay for water service, contact New Jersey American Water to notify them of your move. Do not shut off service.

Cable TV
Contact your provider to cancel service.

Contact your provider to cancel service.

For details on discontinuing utility service, see "Utilities" under "Resident Services."

Resident Services > Utility Services

Rental vans
If you need a rental van, you should make a reservation at least two weeks prior to your move date. Keep in mind that rental vans are often in high demand at the end of the month. These truck rental companies provide service in the Princeton area:

Moving and storage
Many moving companies offer boxes and packing supplies for sale, but you can also buy them at Staples, the Office Depot and the UPS Store. These companies provide moving and storage services in the Princeton Area:

Storage only

Pre-vacate inspection (by request only)
Within ten days of receiving your notice to vacate, upon request, housing staff will perform a pre-vacate inspection to assess and plan for maintenance in your rental unit. You do not have to be present for this inspection. When the inspection has been completed, the inspector(s) will leave an entry notice. If you have pets or require an appointment for this inspection, please contact the Faculty & Staff Housing Office.

Post-vacate inspection
After vacating your apartment, housing staff will inspect your apartment for cleanliness and condition.

The general rule
Your rental should be returned to the condition in which you found it at check-in. You will not be charged for normal wear and tear, holes in the wall the circumference of a pencil or smaller and chips around holes caused from weak plaster.

To avoid a fine or charge
Read the "Before You Go" Check List to understand your responsibility for cleaning your apartment and removing your property.

Charges for cleaning and repairs
Tenants are charged if basic cleanliness and condition criteria are not met. Fees will be deducted from your security deposit. The most common charges are for:

  • Cleaning dirty ovens and stoves.
  • Removing abandoned items, including items left in garages and storage areas.
  • Repairing holes in walls, ceilings and floors.
  • Reinstalling windows, removed to install air conditioners.
  • Cleaning excessively dirty bathroom, floors and walls.
  • Lock changes required when keys were not returned. All keys signed out during your tenancy must be returned when you vacate.
  • Painting required when a wall has to be returned to the standard color.

On or before your vacate date you may return your keys to the:

  • Key drop-off box in front of New South. Key envelopes are provided.
  • Faculty & Staff Housing Office on the fifth floor of New South, Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM.

Or you may leave them on the kitchen counter of the unit you are vacating.

Failure to return keys
If you do not return all keys signed out during your tenancy, you will be charged for a lock change which will be deducted from your security deposit. Standard lock changes in University-owned rental properties are mandatory when:

  • A key is lost.
  • A loaner key has not been returned to the Faculty & Staff Housing Office.
  • A key is not returned at check out.
  • A lock is not working properly and cannot be repaired.

The fee for a lock change due to an unreturned key is based on the number of cores that the key was able to open, and could range from $75 to $150 or more. There is no fee for repairing a broken lock.

Final rent payments
Make your final rental payment by check either in person or by mail.

Mail to:
Princeton University
Rents and Mortgages Department
701 Carnegie Center, Suite 436
Princeton, NJ 08540

In person on campus:
Office of Finance and Treasury
New South building
Seventh floor

Understanding your final rent deduction
If you are on a 10 month pay schedule, you do not see rent deductions during the summer months (July and August).  This “Summer” rent is prorated over the remaining 10 months of the fiscal year.
How to calculate your rent deductions:
Example monthly rent:    $2000
Summer rent:   $2000 x 2 = $4000
Add to regular monthly rent beginning with end of September deduction:   $4000/10 = $400
Expected monthly rent deduction from September through June:     $2400
If you plan to vacate or transfer mid-year; the remainder of the summer rent comes due, along with the pro-rated rent for your final month in residence. The treasurer’s office will deduct the balance due from your next check after your vacate date; or if you leave the university, from your security deposit and/or your final paycheck.

Final rent payment questions
Please direct your questions regarding rent payments to the Office of Finance & Treasury, Rents and Mortgages Department.

Office of Finance & Treasury

Security deposit refunds
If you are owed a security deposit refund, it will be returned to you within four weeks after your official vacate date. If you received your salary by direct deposit, the Office of Finance & Treasury will attempt to direct deposit your security deposit refund. If for any reason they cannot direct deposit the funds, they will mail a check to your forwarding address.

Direct Deposit
You can sign up for direct deposit (US bank accounts only) via the HR Self Service webpage or by visiting the Finance and Treasury office located on the 7th floor of the New South building.  Once you sign up for direct deposit, your paychecks and any other checks you receive from the University, such as a reimbursement, automatically will be deposited in your bank account.

HR Self Service

Direct Deposit Signup

Your forwarding address
If the treasurer's office is unable to direct deposit your security deposit for any reason, a check will be mailed to your forwarding address. To receive a security deposit refund by mail you must provide a forwarding address. If you do not provide a forwarding address the check will be mailed to the last known address in our files which is your rental unit address.

There are a variety of opportunities to recycle and donate items on and off campus before moving out of faculty/staff housing.  Refer to the University's sustainability website for more details.

Recycling Unwanted Property >

Charitable Organizations (PDF)