Room Draw Guide


Graduate Room Draw Guide 2024-2025

What's New for Room Draw 

Graduate Room Draw Quick Guide

A Quick Summary

Graduate Room Draw takes place each spring and designates rooms to students for the following academic year. Whether you are interested in an apartment or a dormitory room in the Graduate college or Annexes, you can submit an application through My Housing for Graduates when it becomes available in February.

During Room Draw, students will:

  • Complete a room draw application prior to the application deadline (specifying room preferences)
  • Be assigned a lottery number
  • Become successful for a room type (apartments) OR participate in a room selection process (dormitories).

Eligible to apply:

  • Students who are currently enrolled and will return the next academic year

  • Students on a leave of absence or in absentia and will return the next academic year

  • Students who will not be enrolled may not participate in room draw, but may submit a Wait List application starting in mid-April. Those students should not be listed as roommates as it may disqualify an application.

Pre-Draw Renewal


The Renewal Form is an online form. To access it here beginning November 15, 2023. Click here

If you have any questions, please email the The Service Point at [email protected].


If a student living in the Graduate College or Annexes would like to renew their room for the following year, they must follow these instructions:

  • Submit a Renewal Form to Student Housing by December 1, 2023.

Wait List

  • If you applied to Room Draw and you are not successful, you will automatically be wait-listed.
  • If you did not apply for Room Draw, you may apply to the wait list through My Housing for Graduates, beginning on May 1, 2024. Students who are not already on the waitlist are strongly encouraged to search for off-campus housing. The Housing Office maintains a vetted list of off-campus housing options, accessible through this link.

The Graduate Student Housing Office makes offers to wait listed students on a rolling basis as housing becomes available over the summer.

Meal Plans

If you live in the Graduate College, you are required to have a meal plan.  If you live in the annexes or in the apartments, you have the option to purchase a meal plan but are not required to do so. 

For pricing and details please visit Campus Dining.

Non-Resident Membership Fee 

Graduate students with university housing contracts other than at the Graduate College and Annexes are automatically non-resident members of the Graduate College House and will be charged a fee of $15 for the Graduate College House non-resident membership for the academic year and hence be afforded all voting and other privileges that come with membership, including the D-Bar for those at least 21 years of age and GC Functions.

Graduate students may request to opt-out of the GC non-resident membership but must do so within five days after accepting their housing contract by completing the opt-out form. No credit for the GC non-resident membership will be provided to graduate students who early terminate their housing contract or move from one graduate housing unit type to another during the academic year; the student will continue to have GC non-resident membership for the remainder of the academic year so as long as they continue to be an enrolled graduate student.


If requested, Students who spent last academic year In Absentia will have their housing priority adjusted by one year. A list of In Absentia students will be provided to Student Housing by the Graduate School and will automatically be considered in Room Draw. For example, a current G3 In Absentia would have the same housing priority as a current G2 who spent no time in Absentia. The goal of program is to provide better access to housing for students whose program requires travel, internships, and/or field work. Only students who were In Absentia are eligible for this program, provided they remain enrolled and otherwise eligible for graduate housing (for example an ET/DCC student would not be eligible).”