Student reading

The Graduate Housing Office recognizes that special circumstances may affect your housing needs and is ready to help.

Only graduate students who have a firm Ph.D. completion date may apply and be given high priority for an extension of their lease to no later than July 31. Students applying for a housing extension for the purpose of completing their dissertations must have a letter from their principal advisor or dissertation committee chair stating the date when the student is scheduled or likely to defend. To apply please click HERE.

All graduate housing, except for the New Graduate College dorms, can be assigned or selected without regard to gender if students choose this option. Please visit the link below for more information and see page 3 which shares more detail about gender-inclusive graduate housing options.
Gender-Inclusive Housing Guide
Resources or LGBTQIA Graduate Students

Hardship Housing is a process by which returning students who wish to be considered for exception to our general policies may apply for housing.  Students may qualify for Hardship Housing due to special or extenuating circumstances, financial hardship, some other type of hardship, or because they may not be successful in Room Draw.

A committee comprised of staff from Graduate Student Housing and the Graduate School will review your application. The following items will be taken into consideration when determining eligibility for hardship status: the student's stipend or other income, loan fund availability and previous borrowing record, spouse's income, number of dependents, ability of spouse to work, outside income, and relevant personal information.

If approved, you may receive priority placement over other returning students via this process. Application dates are posted each spring prior to the Room Draw. Click here to view the forms.

All graduate students are eligible to apply for a medical accommodation.  A committee comprised of staff from Graduate Student Housing, the Graduate School and McCosh Health Center will review your application. Click here to view the forms.

Application dates are posted each spring prior to Room Draw and the incoming student application process.

Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQ):

Are there ADA compliant rooms in Graduate Housing?  Yes, both Lakeside and Lawrence apartments contain ADA compliant units. The Graduate College is a dormitory style building that does not contain ADA compliant rooms

What types of apartments in Lawrence and Lakeside are compliant and what modifications are standard in those buildings?   Lawrence contains studio, 1br and 2br apartments that have ADA compliant doorways and bathrooms (grab bars, flexible shower head, and accessible showers).  Lakeside provides full ADA compliant units both as townhomes (minimum 3 bed, up to 4 bed), and apartments (minimum 1 bed, up to 3 bed).  All accessible units feature one accessible bedroom/bathroom and an accessible kitchen with all required clearances and approach spaces. Bathrooms include all required grab bars and adjustable height shower wand.  Roll-in showers are only provided in the ADA compliant townhomes; all ADA compliant apartments are provided with ADA compliant bathtubs.

How high are the sinks, countertops, toilets, and other such fixed surfaces?  All accessible bathroom vanities and kitchen sinks are 34" maximum height and include ADA compliant faucets and pipe protection below. Toilet seats are approximately 16" high (within the 15"-19" range permitted by the ADA).

How high are the light switches, heater/AC switches, and things like that?  All switches are no higher than 48" to centerline.

Are the interior doors like standard [light] house interior doors or are they heavier, and how high are the doorknobs? All interior unit doors are hollow-core wood as typically used in residential construction. Lever handles are 36" - 38" above the floor. 

What flooring surfaces are used in each room of the apartment in each apartment building? Vinyl-plank flooring in the kitchens, baths, hallways and living areas; glue down carpet in the bedrooms.

How heavy is the exterior apartment door, and is it possible to fit it with an automatic opener?  All doors into accessible units meet the maximum opening force of 5 lbs. Exterior building entry doors are equipped with automatic door operators.

Is the stove gas or electric, and how high is it?   The range is provided as a drop-in type with front mounted controls (all electric). The height in Lakeside matches the counter at 34" high maximum.

What are the windows like (swing to open, slide to open (vertical or horizontal), or twist a handle to open) in each apartment building?   In the Lakeside complex, all operable windows are casement type requiring the use of a crank handle. The Lawrence apartments are equipped with slide open windows with use of a latch.

Are there elevators in Lawrence and Lakeside, and can they access all of the floors?   An elevator is provided in each apartment type building and in the parking garage. Each elevator accesses all floors of the building.

Single students who need to be in Princeton during the summer may apply for summer housing in the Graduate College and annexes. Students already living in an apartment do not have to apply for summer housing if they are retaining their apartment.

The application is available on April 1 and must be submitted by May 5. You should expect to receive an offer for summer housing by May 17.

View Summer Housing site here.

If you are a current resident living in a graduate apartment, you may allow another Princeton-affiliated individual to live in your apartment or townhouse temporarily for up to six months or until the end of the current contract year (whichever comes first).

You are financially obligated to pay all bills in your name, but you may collect money from the temporary resident through a personal agreement. Use the POSH link below to apply for a temporary change of residents.

Residents who plan to be absent from Princeton for a short period during their contract timeframe must adhere to the following guidelines if they wish to temporarily change residents for their unit during their absence. Students may not do so for more than one semester, a maximum period of up to six months.

1. Enrolled graduate students who have a valid contract for the next academic year may temporarily change the resident for their apartment. Students who have an extension may not do so. Graduate students who are taking a leave of absence from the University are not considered enrolled and are therefore not eligible for University housing during the period of their leave. Hence, students planning a leave of absence are not allowed to temporarily change the resident for their apartment. Students in this situation must vacate their unit within 30 days of the termination of their enrollment but no later than June 30 for a summer vacate. They may reapply for University housing before their anticipated return to campus.

2. On rare occasions when it becomes necessary for the apartment contract holder to extend their temporary change in resident agreement, they must reapply to the Housing Department. The Housing Office will require confirmation from the student’s Academic Department, and re-evaluate the circumstances before considering approval.

3. The University contract holder is responsible for making monthly payments. The University contract holder assumes responsibility for all damages beyond normal wear and tear that may be caused to the property during the period of temporary change in resident and will bear all costs of such repairs.

4. No Temporary Change in Resident is permitted beyond the contract period. Graduate students may not temporarily change the resident for their apartment beyond June 30, unless they have already obtained an apartment contract renewal for the following academic year.

5. Graduate students may temporarily change to individuals directly affiliated with Princeton University except to undergraduate students. Under no circumstances, may an undergraduate student temporarily live in a graduate apartment via this process.

6. Rent charged for the unit must not exceed the contract amount charged by the University for the unit. The University contract holder will remain liable for the total payment due during the term of the contract.

7. The University contract holder must complete a Temporary Change in Resident application  available on the Housing and Real Estates office’s website, and prepare a written agreement for the temporary resident that clearly states the period of same, monthly payment expectations, and any other conditions deemed necessary. All parties involved must sign the agreement and submit a copy Housing and Real Estate office at least 10 days before the temporary period begins.

8. The Parking Office will issue a temporary parking permit to a temporary resident that has a copy of the approved Graduate Housing Permission. The Housing and Real Estate office does not issue additional keys to temporary residents. The contract holder may request an extra key from their superintendent. The key must be signed for, and the contract holder will be held responsible for any keys that are not returned to the University. A lock change will be performed if any key(s) are not accounted for.

9. A temporary resident is not allowed to make payment to the University on behalf of the contract holder. The contract holder is responsible to make payment directly to the University. Students that are still receiving a stipend may continue to have the monthly rate deducted.

10.  Prior to submitting an application for a Temporary Change of Resident, the enrolled graduate student must discuss with the other contract holders sharing thier unit. The length of stay (maximum 6 months) for a temporary resident and consideration for approval of an application is contingent upon the consent of all roommates/apartment mates.

11. It is important that a temporary resident be registered in writing with the Housing Department ten days in advance. Temporary residents, spouses, domestic partners and other dependents who are unofficial and are locked out will not be allowed access to the apartment. Temporary residents will not receive lock out services without their copy of the approved Temporary Change in Resident permission form. Temporary residents are not approved until the application is completed and on record with the Housing and Real Estate Office and the student contract holder requesting the Temporary Change in Resident agreement  has been emailed confirmation of approval. Students should apply to the Housing and Real Estate Office using the web application. 


Visit My Housing for Graduates to access the application 

Visiting Scholars may apply for housing at My Housing for Graduates at any point in the year. VSRC start dates are typically on the first of the month, and housing contracts are offered as vacancies allow.

My Housing for Graduates