These guidelines will help to make your transition from Princeton easy.

  • Submit a notice of intent to vacate form via My Housing for Graduates.
  • Make plans for moving and storage.
  • Have the U.S. Postal Service forward your mail.
  • Remove your name from your mailbox.
  • Notify your utility companies of your move date.
  • Clean the stove and on some models, under the stove top.
  • Clean the oven.
  • Clean the refrigerator and freezer.
  • Clean the bathroom, including the tub and all tile surfaces.
  • Broom clean your unit.
  • Remove items from storage.
  • Remove all personal belongings from your unit.
  • Place discarded items in the appropriate receptacles.
  • Return keys, including your mailbox key.
  • Close the windows.
  • Lock your unit when you leave.

My Housing for Graduates

At least thirty days prior to your move out date, submit a notice of intent to vacate form via My Housing for Graduates to inform the Graduate Student Housing Office of your plans to vacate your rental unit.

Current residents who are renewing their contracts for the following year do not have to move out.

My Housing for Graduates

Rental vans
If you need a rental van, you should make a reservation at least two weeks prior to your move date. Keep in mind that rental vans are often in high demand at the end of the month. These truck rental companies provide service in the Princeton area:

Moving and storage
Many moving companies offer boxes and packing supplies for sale, but you can also buy them at Staples, the Office Depot and the UPS Store. These companies provide moving and storage services in the Princeton Area:

Storage only

First class mail
Complete a change of address form at the U.S. Postal Service website.

U.S. Postal Services

Magazines and newspapers
Contact the subscription department to report a change of address three weeks prior to your move. The U.S. Postal Service will not forward second class mail.

The U.S. Postal Service, FedEx, and other package carriers will not forward packages received after you have vacated your apartment.

Contact utility providers prior to your vacate date to discontinue service. If you fail to notify your service providers, they will continue to bill you.

Gas and electric
If you pay for gas and/or electric, contact PSE&G to transfer your account back to the University.

If you pay for water service, contact New Jersey American Water to close your account.

Cable TV
Contact your provider to cancel service.

Contact your provider to cancel service.

For details on discontinuing utility service, see "Utilities for Your Apartment" under "Resident Services."

Resident Services > Utilities for Your Apartment

Pre-vacate inspection 
Within ten days of receiving your notice to vacate, housing staff will perform a pre-vacate inspection to assess and plan for maintenance in your rental unit. You do not have to be present for this inspection. When the inspection has been completed, the inspector(s) will leave an entry notice. If you have pets or require an appointment for this inspection, please contact the Graduate Student Housing Office.

Post-vacate inspection
After vacating your apartment, housing staff will inspect your apartment for cleanliness and condition.

The general rule
Your rental should be returned to the condition in which you found it at check-in. You will not be charged for normal wear and tear, holes in the wall the circumference of a pencil or smaller, and chips around holes caused from weak plaster.

To avoid a fine or charge
Read the "Before You Go" Check List to understand your responsibility for cleaning your apartment and removing your property.

Charges for cleaning and repairs
Tenants are charged if basic cleanliness and condition criteria are not met. Fees will be deducted from your security deposits. The items most commonly charged for are:

  • Cleaning dirty ovens and stoves.
  • Removing abandoned items, including items left in garages and storage areas.
  • Repairing holes in walls, ceilings and floors.
  • Reinstalling windows, removed to install air conditioners.
  • Cleaning excessively dirty bathroom, floors and walls.
  • Lock changes required when keys were not returned. All keys signed out during your tenancy must be returned when you vacate.

If you are leaving the University at the end of the academic year, return your keys to the Graduate Student Housing Office on the fifth floor of New South from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM by June 30. All apartment contracts end no later than June 30.

If you are moving out after office hours or on a weekend, you may put your keys in an envelope, write your name on it, and place the envelope in the key drop-off box located outside New South. Envelopes are available at the drop-off box.

If the Graduate Student Housing Office does not receive your keys when you move out, you will be billed daily until your keys are received. If you have lost your keys, please notify the Graduate Student Housing Office immediately.

After you move out, housing staff will inspect your apartment for cleanliness and condition. If there are damages, fees will be assessed and deducted from your security deposit, the balance of which will be refunded to you in 30 days from the inspection. 

Your security deposit will be returned via direct deposit if you have it set up with the University, or it will be mailed to you by check. Read the "Before You Go" check list to understand your responsibilities when vacating your apartment.

Improper Check-out

Move-Out dates are non-negotiable deadlines as we work closely with Area Coordinators and Building Services on the turnover of rooms for new occupants.

Students found to be in their rooms past the designated move-out date will be subject to a $300 fine for improper check-out