Graduate College tower

Be sure to read and comply with these guidelines to make the move from your room hassle-free.

  • Complete a notice of intent to vacate form via My Housing for Graduates.
  • Remove your personal belongings, including carpets and furniture.
  • Remove trash and recyclables to exterior of building.
  • Remove discarded carpets to exterior of building.  
  • Make sure all University furniture found at move in is in your room.
  • Dismantle and remove non-University lofts.
  • Remove discarded lofts to exterior of building.  
  • Sweep the floor.
  • If you have a private bathroom, clean the bathroom.
  • Reclaim heat producing appliances or microwave ovens confiscated by HRES Area Coordinators (258 3435).
  • Reclaim other items confiscated by Public Safety or HRES Area Coordinators (258 3435).
  • Fill out a change of address form with the U.S. Postal Service.
  • Make plans for storage.
  • Donate unwanted furniture, clean clothing, unused school supplies, books and bicycles.
  • Close and lock windows in your room or suite.
  • Lock your door.

My Housing for Graduates

Complete a notice of intent to vacate form via My Housing for Graduates 30 days before your departure.

Current residents who are staying for summer do not have to move out if they have applied for and signed a summer housing contract.

My Housing for Graduates

Room inspections
After you move out, your room will be checked by HRES Area Coordinators for cleanliness and condition.

The general rule
Your room should be returned to the condition you found it at move in. You will not be charged for normal wear and tear, holes in the wall the size of a pencil or smaller, larger plaster chips around holes caused from weak plaster, or bike scuff marks left near bike hooks.

To avoid a fine or charge
Read the "Before You Go" Check List to understand your responsibility for cleaning your room, removing your property, and making sure that all University-owned furniture in your room at move in is in place.

Rooms left in extraordinarily poor condition
If your room requires excessive cleaning and/or repair to rehabilitate it, you will incur the following penalties:

  • A fine of $300 per resident
  • A charge to all occupants for the cleaning, maintenance, and purchases required to return the room to its original state
  • Disciplinary action

Wall repair and painting
Do not spackle or patch any holes or paint any part of your room. You will be liable for the repainting and repair charges incurred as the result of such actions.

Non-University items left in your room
Any non-University items left in your room after your vacate deadline will be considered abandoned, and you will be charged for the cost of disposal.

Loft removal
You are responsible for any room damage caused by the construction or removal of a loft. If ownership of the loft can't be determined, the repair cost is divided among all residents of the room or suite.

University-owned furniture
All University-owned furniture that was in your room at move in must be in your room at check out, except for mattresses that you requested to be removed and stored. You will be charged the replacement cost of any missing item(s).

Trash and recycling
Remove trash and recyclables to the exterior of the building. Do not leave them in the hallway or in your room.

First class mail
Complete a change of address form at the U.S. Postal Service website.

U.S. Postal Service

Magazines and newspapers
Contact the subscription department to report a change of address three weeks prior to your move. The U.S. Postal Service will not forward second class mail.

The U.S. Postal Service, FedEx, and other package carriers will not forward packages received after you have vacated your room.

Graduate College

On your move out date or earlier, return your mailbox key to the Porter's Lodge office during business hours or to the dropbox outside the Lodge after hours.

If you have a kitchen cabinet key, return it to the Housing Office during business hours or to the dropbox outside the first floor of New South.


Annex keys should be returned to the Housing Office during business hours or to the dropbox outside the flirst floor of New South.

Take a look at the Dining Services website for a schedule of dining and operation hours during the move out period, commencement and reunions.

Dining Services - Move Out Schedule

Improper Check-out

Move-Out dates are non-negotiable deadlines as we work closely with Area Coordinators and Building Services on the turnover of rooms for new occupants.

Students found to be in their rooms past the designated move-out date will be subject to a $300 fine for improper check-out