Grad students with laptop

Apply for Housing

As a new, current or returning student you are eligible to apply for housing if you are enrolled in the current or upcoming semester.

New Students

The application for new students opens on March 1 and closes on April 23. Housing offers for students who apply by the deadline are not based on a specific type, size or location preference. The ability to accommodate a request for a pet friendly unit is based on availability. 

The Graduate Student Housing Office will attempt to provide you with accommodations that meet your needs, and you can expect to receive an offer for housing in the middle of June. You have seven days to accept a housing contract offer.  Offers not accepted within seven days will be canceled.  All offers are sent to your Princeton email address.

Current Students Applying for Housing for the Next Academic Year

At the start of the spring term, a calendar is posted with all of the pre-draw and Room Draw dates and deadlines.  Students wishing to add a spouse, domestic partner or children must include their name(s) on their housing application for Room Draw and also should submit the appropriate documentation to Student Housing.

Room retention
First and second year graduate students and families with children (regardless of year of study) are eligible to retain their apartments and townhouses through the contract renewal process, which typically takes place in February.  Contract renewals are made before the annual Room Draw process so Student Housing has an accurate number of units that can be used for Room Draw. All G1's and G2's (in full retention eligible apartments) and families with children who currently live in an apartment will receive an automatic retention offer for their current unit. Retention eligible students in multi-bedroom apartments should submit a Pre-Draw Pull In Form to Student Housing by February 15. Students can pull in any current G1-G3 student to fill their apartment. Students who would like to retain a GC/Annex room (regardless of year of study) should also submit a Pre-Draw Pull In Form to Student Housing by Febraury 15.

Room Draw
All enrolled graduate students are eligible to apply through Room Draw in the spring for housing for the following academic year. Applicants are randomized within their class year and assigned a lottery number.

Those who apply to room draw and who are successful in the lottery for the Graduate College or the annexes, are assigned a specific time to go to My Housing for Graduates select a room. Those who are successful in the lottery for an apartment will be assigned in order and should expect to receive an offer for housing in late April or early May.

Wait list
Students who have applied to Room Draw but are unsuccessful in the lottery, will be placed on the wait list. Current and incoming students who miss the deadline are eligible to apply to the wait list. The wait list application opens on April 24 and closes in late September. Contract offers are made on a rolling basis as vacancies allow.

Students Returning from Field Study or Leave of Absence

If you are returning from a field study or a leave of absence, you may apply for housing at any point in the year.  Contract offers are made on a rolling basis as vacancies allow.

Visiting Student Research Collaborators (VSRCs)

VSRCs may apply for housing at any time.  Assignments are made as vacancies allow.