With the recent series of tropical storms and hurricanes, we are reminded that our area has historically experienced storm events at this time of year that can disrupt regional power service. This can affect all of the University’s rental housing for both graduate students and faculty/staff members, since all receive power from the public utility, PSE&G. Power outages occur with greater frequency at this time of year, and some in recent years have lasted several days. Therefore, we want to remind residents of the general preparedness guideline of keeping a minimum of three days’ supply of water, food, and emergency supplies on hand for all of the members of your household. In addition, for any individuals utilizing basement or ground level storage, we recommend that you consider elevating your belongings off the floor wherever possible as well as transitioning storage out of cardboard or paper based boxes and into plastic sealable containers. Taking these steps may mitigate any damage resulting from water intrusion.
The University has compiled resources for residential emergency preparedness, and it is a good time to review the attachment to this email and the following links:
* FEMA’s Ready website and attached checklist: http://www.ready.gov/
* Tips for the campus community: https://emergency.princeton.edu/what-to-do/severe-weather/hurricane
* American Red Cross tips: http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/getkit
* PSE&G’s outage page: http://www.pseg.com/home/customer_service/outage_info/lose_power.jsp
We recommend bookmarking these sites on a mobile device so that you can continue to access these materials in the event of a power outage. Most of the resources found at the links have subsections on special preparations for caring for children, people with medical conditions, the elderly, and pets.
In the event of a power outage, work to restore service will be performed by PSE&G. It is also helpful for the University to be aware of rental housing properties without power, so please inform the Facilities Customer Service Center or the Department of Public Safety. Contact information for each of these is below:
· Report outages to PSE&G at (800) 436-PSEG (7734)
· Facilities Customer Service Center (609) 258-8000
· Department of Public Safety:
- ALL EMERGENCIES: Call 9-1-1 (Cell towers are now set up to route 911 callers to DPS dispatch if the caller is on campus.)
- Non-Emergencies: Call (609) 258-1000
We wish you a safe start to the academic year. We ask that you peruse the above materials and use this time to make sure you are ready to stay safe and as comfortable as possible in your home for at least three days in the event of an extended power outage. Meanwhile, please direct any questions on emergency preparedness in University rental housing to Chris Warkala, Senior Manager for Housing Facilities email@example.com, phone: (609) 258-7638.
Housing and Real Estate Services