Temporary Change in Resident


Temporary Change in Resident Guidelines

Residents who plan to be absent from Princeton for a short period during their contract timeframe must adhere to the following guidelines if they wish to temporarily change the resident for their unit during their absence. Students may only use this option for one semester.

1.If you are a current resident living in a graduate apartment, you may allow another Princeton-affiliated graduate student to live in your apartment or townhouse temporarily for up to six months or until the end of the current contract year (whichever comes first). Graduate students who are taking a leave of absence from the University are not considered enrolled and are therefore not eligible for University housing during the period of their leave, so they may not utilize this option.  Students in this situation must vacate their unit within 30 days of the termination of their enrollment but no later than June 30 for a summer vacate. They may reapply for University housing before their anticipated return to campus.

2. In rare occasions, when it becomes necessary for the apartment contract holder to extend their temporary change in resident agreement, they must reapply to the Housing Department. The Housing Office will require confirmation from the student’s Academic Department, and re-evaluate the circumstances.

3. The University contract holder is responsible for making monthly payments. The University contract holder assumes responsibility for all damages beyond normal wear and tear that may be caused to the property during any period and will bear all costs of such repairs.

4. A temporary change in resident is not permitted beyond the contract period. Graduate students may not temporarily change the resident for their apartment beyond June 30 unless they have already obtained an apartment contract renewal for the following academic year.

5. Graduate students may temporarily change only to other graduate students directly affiliated with Princeton University. The contract holder may not temporarily contract with undergraduate students, faculty/staff or any other person (s) not affiliated with Princeton University. 

6. The temporary change in resident amounts charged for the unit must not exceed the contract amount charged by the University for the unit. The University contract holder will remain liable for the total payment due during the term of the contract.

7. The University contract holder must complete a Temporary Change in Resident application available through My Housing for Graduates. A mutually signed written agreement between the contract holder and temporary resident which clearly states the period, monthly payment expectations, and any other conditions deemed important is necessary. Only the Temporary Change in Resident Application needs to be submitted to the Housing Office.   

8. The Parking Office will issue a temporary parking permit to temporary residents that have a copy of the approved Graduate Housing Permission form. The Housing and Real Estate office does not issue additional keys to temporary residents. The contract holder is responsible for the exchange of keys and will be held responsible for any keys that are not returned to the University. A lock change will be performed if any key(s) are not accounted for.

9. The temporary resident is not allowed to make payments to the University on behalf of the contract holder. The contract holder is responsible to make payments directly to the University. Students that are still receiving a stipend may continue to have the monthly rate deducted.

10. It is important that any individual that has your permission to enter your apartment must be registered in writing with the Housing Department, ten days in advance. This includes but is not limited to: pet-sitters, and individuals that will water your plants. These individuals will not be granted access to your apartment if they are locked out.

11. It is important to file a temporary change request. Temporary residents, spouses, domestic partners and other dependents who are unofficial and are locked out will not be allowed access to the apartment. Temporary residents will not receive lock out services without their copy of the approved Temporary Change in Resident permission form. Temporary residents are not approved until the application is completed, and on record with the Housing and Real Estates Office and the student contract holder requesting the Temporary Change in Resident agreement has been emailed confirmation of approval. Students should apply to the Housing and Real Estate Office using the web application.

Apply for temporary change in resident