Be sure to read and comply with these guidelines to make the move from your room hassle-free .
Before You Go Check List
Before You Go Check List
- Remove your personal belongings, including carpets and furniture.
- Remove trash and recyclables and place them in the appropriate receptacles.
- Remove discarded carpets to exterior of building.
- Make sure all University furniture found at Move In is in your room.
- Dismantle and remove non-University lofts.
- Remove lofts to exterior of building.
- Sweep the floor.
- If you have a private bathroom, clean the bathroom.
- Reclaim heat-producing appliances or microwave ovens confiscated by HRES Area Coordinators (258-3435).
- Reclaim other items confiscated by Public Safety or HRES Area Coordinators (258-3435).
- Fill out a change of address form with Princeton Mail Services if you want to have your first-class mail forwarded to an address other than your home address. Magazines are second class mail and are not forwarded by Princeton Mail Services.
- Make plans for storage.
- Donate unwanted furniture, clean clothing, unused school supplies, books, and bicycles.
- Close and lock windows in your room or suite.
- Lock your door.
Prepare Room for Inspection
After you move out, your room will be checked by HRES Area Coordinators for cleanliness and condition.
The general rule
Your room should be returned to the condition you found it at Move In. You will not be charged for normal wear and tear, holes in the wall the size of a pencil or smaller, larger plaster chips around holes caused from weak plaster, or bike scuff marks left near bike hooks.
To avoid a fine or charge
Read the "Before You Go Check List" to understand your responsibility for cleaning your room, removing your property, and making sure that all University-owned furniture in your room at Move In is in place.
Rooms left in extraordinarily poor condition
If your room requires excessive cleaning and/or repair to rehabilitate it, you will incur the following penalties:
- A fine of $300 per resident
- A charge to all occupants for the cleaning, maintenance, and purchases required to return the room to its original state
- Disciplinary action
Wall repair and painting
Do not spackle or patch any holes or paint any part of your room. You will be liable for the repainting and repair charges incurred as the result of such actions.
Non-University items left in your room
Any non-University items left in your room after your vacate deadline will be considered abandoned, and you will be charged for the cost of disposal.
You are responsible for any room damage caused by the construction or removal of a loft. If ownership of the loft can't be determined, the repair cost is divided among all residents of the room or suite.
All University-owned furniture that was in your room at Move In must be in your room at check out, except for mattresses that you requested to be removed and stored. You will be charged the replacement cost of any missing item(s).
Trash and recycling
Remove trash and recyclables to the exterior of building. Do not leave them in the hallway or in your room.
Donate or Recycle - Greening Move Out
Greening Move Out
Greening Move Out partners with local charities and organizations to donate any used or unwanted items from campus dorms. As you move out, please bring unwanted items to a donation station between TBD. Donation stations will be located across campus and staffed with EcoReps. Abandoned items left on campus will be sent to the landfill, so please bring them to the closest EcoReps Donation Station!
Vacate Your Room and Return Your Keys
Vacate Dates and Key Return
Your final vacate date is Wednesday, June 3rd at 12 noon. At this time, your TigerCard will be deactivated and you will no longer have access to the dormitories or your room. Please make certain you have completely vacated your room leaving it in the condition you found it. Last year many students requested to get back into rooms after the 12 noon deadline because their prox cards stopped working. This will not be allowed this year. You must vacate by the 12 noon deadline. You will not be able to get into your room should you get locked out while moving after this time so please plan accordingly.
Students granted interim housing
Further instructions will be sent to you regarding the move around. If you are staying in the same room, you will not need to be on campus on May 23rd. If you have been reassigned to a different room than your current room, you will either need to COMPLETELY vacate your current room before May 23rd or be on campus to complete your move on the 23rd. Rooms will be ready to move into at 10 am. If you’re going into a room where some occupants are retaining the room, it’s a good idea to get in touch with your roommates for interim so you can plan accordingly. We are using EVERY bed on campus for interim so please be patient and welcoming to your new roommates. Your final vacate date is Wednesday, June 3rd at 12 noon. At this time your TigerCard will be deactivated and you will no longer have access to the dormitories or your room. Please make certain you have completely vacated your room leaving it in the condition you found it. Last year many students requested to get back into rooms after the 12 noon deadline because their prox cards stopped working. This will not be allowed this year. You must vacate by the 12 noon deadline. You will not be able to get into your room should you get locked out while moving after this time so please plan accordingly.
If you have a summer contract, you would stay in your interim assignment until the summer move around.
Students without interim housing assignments
If you do not meet any of the criteria above, you should vacate your room within 24 hours of your last final exam, but no later than Saturday, May 23rd at 12 noon.
After vacating your room, return your kitchen and Sabbath keys to Student Housing on the fifth floor of New South. The Undergraduate Student Housing Office is open for extended hours during Move Out. All card access to rooms terminates at 12 noon on the vacate deadline. No exceptions to this.
Dining Schedule for Move Out
Take a look at the Dining Services website for a schedule of dining and operation hours during the Move Out period, commencement and reunions.
Storage and Moving Providers/Permissable Moving Vehicles
Storage and Moving Providers
To ensure the safety and privacy of all residents as well as the preservation of campus grounds and facilities, the University requires storage and moving providers to meet certain criteria and agree to a set of guidelines.
If you are interested in contracting storage or moving services, the following is a list of University-approved providers :
Only those providers listed above are permitted on campus and authorized to enter dormitories. This list continues to be updated as new providers receive University approval.
Except when contracting with the Moving and Storage Agency, it is your responsibility to be present in your dorm at the time of service.
It is a violation of University policy for you to contract storage and moving services with unapproved providers.
Permitted Moving Vehicles
- You may bring a moving truck up to 15 feet onto campus.
- This length represents the cargo box attached to a majority of moving trucks made available by most rental truck agencies. This length also allows ample cargo capacity for studio apartments and 1-2 bedroom units.
- For moving trucks longer than 15 feet, short-term parking will be made available in Lot 20 for temporary loading. Pushcarts will be provided, as available.
- You may bring a trailer up to 10 feet onto campus.
- This length specification accommodates the University’s many narrow walkways and sharp angle turns, which make the movement of trailers very difficult and unsafe.
- For trailers longer than 10 feet, short-term parking will be made available in Lot 20 for temporary loading. Pushcarts will be provided, as available.
Move-Out dates are non-negotiable deadlines as we work closely with Area Coordinators and Building Services on the turnover of rooms for new occupants.
Students found to be in their rooms past the designated move-out date will be subject to a $300 fine for improper check-out