Students on bench

The Undergraduate Student Housing Office recognizes that special circumstances may affect your housing needs and is ready to help.

Gender-Inclusive Housing

What is Gender-Inclusive housing?
In gender-inclusive housing two or more students may share a multiple-occupancy dorm room with no regard to the students' sex or gender.

Where is it available?

Beginning in 2017, all rooms allotted to room draw will be designated as gender-neutral. Rising sophomores, juniors and seniors may continue to apply for room draw in groups from 1-8 (Wilson remains at 10). They will then have the option to select rooms with classmates regardless of gender. Students not participating in room draw, will only be assigned to a mixed-gender room upon request.

Any incoming first year students needing gender-inclusive housing should contact the Housing Office to share what housing needs they have, and Housing will work with Residential College staff to accommodate them.

More information

Please note:**We do not encourage gender inclusive housing for students in romantic relationships.

  • At Room Draw, upperclass students may form groups with roommates of any sex or gender.
  • Any upperclass student may select a room in gender-inclusive housing through the regular room draw process in spring semester.
  • Students will not be randomly assigned to gender-inclusive housing without their consent
  • Gender-Inclusive Bathroom Locations
  • Some transgender and gender non-conforming students may have an urgent or safety need for a private bathroom or single-occupancy bathroom near their room. In this case, students must meet Housing deadlines for the pre-draw bathroom process. These students will be granted housing, but they may not get their first choice of room or number of roommates.

Pre-Draw Bathroom Process

The University understands that some students may have an urgent or safety need for a private bathroom or single-occupancy bathroom near their room. In this case, students may apply for the pre-draw bathroom process.

  • Online application will go live at the end of January
  • Deadline for completion is February 15th
  • Students who apply for this housing will be contacted for a 15-minute meeting with the Associate Director for Student Housing Occupancy Management, Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Students, and/or the Director of the LGBT Center
    • Meeting will assess that the student is in need of this pre-draw process versus being adequately served as part of the general gender-inclusive housing draw
    • Students can request up to one roommate that they would like to share a room with
    • Students are advised that people with disabilities and medical needs may also be seeking these rooms
    • Students are advised that if they qualify, they will be granted housing through this process, but they may not get their first choice of room or number of roommates.
  • Final decisions will be made by the Associate Director for Student Housing Occupancy Management and the Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Students, with input from the Director of the LGBT Center.
  • Assignments will be made in March prior to Room Draw.

You can find and submit an application here.


Married Student Housing

Five suites (#31, 33, 42, 44, 62 and 72) in Spelman Hall are available for upperclass married students. Enrolled non-senior students currently residing in married student housing have retention rights. There is no undergraduate housing available on campus for families with children. Should there be more married students than spaces available, it's possible that a Graduate apartment unit could be made available. For students with children, Graduate apartment units are the only option available.

A married undergraduate couple (including a non-Princeton student spouse) will pay one and a half times the cost of a single student living in a Spelman Suite. This includes beds in Graduate Student housing.

How to Apply

  • Send an email to Angie Hodgeman at
  • Specify your preferred Spelman Hall suite numbers.
  • Submit a copy of your marriage certificate to the Undergraduate Student Housing Office by the deadline.

If you are not married but will be before the fall semester begins, you may participate as long as you contact the Associate Director for Student Housing Occupancy Management prior to the draw.

If you are not successful in the draw you can be wait-listed, but you are encouraged to look for private housing.

My Housing for Undergraduates

Room Assignments

  • Assignments are categorized and prioritized as follows:
  1. Both spouses are full-time Princeton undergraduates.
  2. One spouse is full-time Princeton undergraduate; the other is not.
  • Within each category, you are ranked in class order and random numbers assigned if necessary.

When assignments are made, the Undergraduate Student Housing Office will e-mail you with instructions on how to accept and sign your contract(s).

Room Charges

The charge for a married couple living in Spelman is one and a half times the cost of a single student living in a regular Spelman suite.


Medical Accommodation

Medical Accommodation is intended for students with medical conditions and disabilities and is administered jointly by the Student Housing and the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students (ODUS). The medical accommodation assignment process takes place in February; applications are available online in January.

Your physical needs will receive priority, and secondarily, we will do our best to accommodate some of your other preferences. You are not obligated to accept a medical accommodation room assignment.

Medical Accommodation Process

  • Complete the medical accommodation form online.
  • Provide up-to-date medical documentation of your condition/need to ODUS, even if you were housed through the medical accommodation process last year. Applications without medical documentation will not be considered.
  • Identify rooms that meet your needs and include them on your application.
  • Your room will be assigned based on all of the information you provide and not solely the rooms you identify.

Rooms larger than a double are not available for medical accommodation. No more than two single rooms are available to medical accommodation applicants and their draw group.

Medical Accommodation Application

*Please Note* As of March 6, 2019, the medical accommodation application has closed.  Students seeking housing should first attempt to secure a room that meets their needs through regular room draw.  If unsuccessful, students should apply to the medical accommodation waitlist, but changes will not be made until October 2019.


Service Animal:  Students may keep a Service Animal in their dormitory or rental unit as well as other venues on campus if:

  • The individual has a disability;
  • The dog is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the individual with a disability; and
  • The work or task that the dog has been trained to provide is directly related to the person’s disability.

Assistance Animal:  Students may keep an Assistance Animal in their dormitory or rental unit that does not have a private entrance as a reasonable accommodation if:

  • The individual has a disability,
  • The animal is necessary to afford the individual with a disability an equal opportunity to use and enjoy campus housing; and
  • There is an identifiable relationship between the disability and the assistance the animal provides.

For more information about the procedure to qualify for an Assistance Animal, please visit the Service and Assistance Animal Policy website.